20 November 2006

Tuesday Thankfullness

As it nears Tuesday again, Janet has another Tell It to Me Tuesday at http://www.theartofgettingby.com/ this one on what and why we are thankful in honor of Thanksgiving. She asked for 5 items and that we give some explanation of each. (I was going to do a similar post on Thanksgiving and a Thursday Thirteen to follow up my previous one, but I can do most of the post a few days early... no problem :)

1. My family- I know it is perhaps one of the most obvious answers for all of us, but I am always glad for the time I spend with most of them, not matter how trying they may be... and I am sure I try them as well. Still, nearly 10 years ago I lost my brother (and had planned to post something about him on Thanksgiving, which was the last time he and I really talked before he passed), my only natural sibling (the remaining 10 are halves and steps, but I love 'em all the same), and while I have moved on, his death reminds me to be thankful and appreciative of the time I have left with the rest of my family. Anyway, more about this on Thanksgiving.

2. My health- Again, another obvious answer, but I am rather lucky to have my health at all, having survived 2 excruciating neurosurgeries, one just to save my life and repair my damaged right frontal lobe, and the other to repair my skull fracture (which involved replacing most of my right forehead with a plastic plate). On top of that, I had to endure 2 shunts (and if you've had one, you know how painful they are) and around a dozen or so spinal taps. And this happened when I was 10. So every day since then has been a bonus.

3. Connections- This might seem a little strange, but I refer to the connections that are sometimes only possible in the Internet age. It is an amazing thing to connect with people all over the country and the world, even with those who may or may not agree with me or share my interests (I like to call those people Philistines, lol ). We are all the same and yet so different... so fascinating and wonderful.

4. History- Without history we cannot understand who we are or where we are going, again obviously so, but true. And the tragedy is that so many of us do not learn, but I am thankful for the opportunities history has afforded me to learn what needs to be changed and how to change it, whether I am in a position to or not.

5. Poetry - Without my affection and affinity for poetry, many of the good things in my life would not have happened. It has made me the hopeless romantic that I strive to remain, and has helped me understand my pragmatism and at times, cynicism. And most of all, it has helped me become the man I am, for good or for ill.

Ok, that should cover it... Again, some more posts forthcoming this week, and a special one for Thanksgiving Day itself. (and I'll try and refrain too much from football :)

C.

3 comments:

Rain said...

I would like to take this time to thank you for stopping by my site and taking the time to comment.
You are welcome to stop by anytime!

The human race would be much happier as a whole if we all took 10 minutes of our time each week and counted our blessings instead of only doing it during the holiday season.

Hmm, I think I am going to check out some of your poetry now...

Sharon GR said...

"History" is one I've never seen on a list like this. What a great idea.

jedimerc said...

rain: Thank you for stopping by as well, and I will be sure to frequent your blog when I can, and I agree completely on the holiday spirit year round. I carp on that during the holidays... imagine how the world might be if we treated every day like these upcoming holidays :)

And by all means, read all the poetry you want... I never mind that.

sharon: Thanks for stopping by and your comments :)

History, like poetry, has helped me become the person I am through its understanding. I can't imagine my life without it.

kate: As ever, thanks for your kind comments, they are most encouraging :)