30 November 2006

Cold War Songs

Just as an aside, I was going to post something a bit more personal, but I lost my train of thought watching 'Clerks II', so I leave you with this little post here and the following post, a modified reprint of relatively recent poem... sorry, I'll try and find my thoughts in the morning. Plus, I'm a little angry, but I will go into that later.

Ok, this little fun post is a derivative of other song posts I have seen. Last week, there was a top 5 long songs, so I decided to go with another interesting variant, the Cold War. I got the idea listening to one of the songs on the list, so here goes:

1) 'Goodnight Saigon' by Billy Joel: A fabulous tribute to those that served in the longest 'hot' war of the Cold War... always love the helicopters in the background at the beginning and ending of the song.
2) 'The Russians' by Sting: Such a soulful song that really defines the mood of the Cold War and the ever impending threat of two nations poised to blow themselves to smithereens... thankfully, the Russians loved their children too.
3) 'Winds of Change' by the Scorpions: A song that really defined the end of the Cold War, and how I felt when I walked through Gorky Park, and stood in Red Square amazed that I would even be allowed to stand there.
4) 'Leningrad' by Billy Joel: Having been to St. Petersburg when it was still Leningrad (but just barely), this song is close to me especially in retrospect and thinking of how so much has changed... though with the new 'wars', maybe not.
5) 'God On Our Side' by The Neville Brothers: An old friend introduced this to me when I was in high school and it is more about war in general, but was made during the Cold War. It starts with the Civil War and ends with the Cold War, and a simple hope... 'If God's on our side, he'll stop the next war'. Fantastic song.

Honorable mention: 'Nikita' by Elton John: An interesting little song at the tail end of his 'Sleeping with the Past' album, but I always liked the imagery of the ten tin soldiers.

C.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Was it the donkey scene that disturbed you?

jedimerc said...

No, it was the discussion of atm. The donkey scene was pretty darn funny in a disturbing kind of way. Ok, most of the movie was funny in a disturbing kind of way.