11 November 2006

Another Day

I originally was not going to post this piece tonight, as I was simply going to post about Veteran's Day, but I read another post on another blog that really was in line with much of this poem. Indeed, the situation the blogger describes is quite similar to my own situation that prompted this piece. It all goes back to a question I asked in prior posts. Can I do more? I did not do more in my own experience and this inspiration made a profound impact on the way I perceive those in need. True, it is hard to tell who really needs help, but what if the one person we turn away is in the most need? Some times one just has to say 'Let me help'. I know I can't every day or every time, but what if there is not another day? It's tough, but then these sorts of things should be.

'Another Day'

Maybe today...

Walking right past
embarrassed for them
not me... just guilt
use it for booze dope
food? what if
no time will be late
make it to class... safe
mind on work away from
pleading that look

Perhaps this day...

Driving on by
wanting reaching maybe
light change look
away that sign
fake.. need work
we all do money so do I
lost just turn busy
poor myself what then
want to... run
not my problem

Let them help...

Not me
a step removed from the street
thinking it could be
sleeping cold begging
work handouts for
booze? to keep warm anything
something too proud never get
that way... the rich
their duty not mine
have little but nothing less
if not you
then who?

Another day... this day

No longer waiting gone
in the news frozen elements
no warmth blanket papers cold
dead not... my fault
guilt rampaging within did all...
nothing not even a word
wanted to did you
came today too late
overwhelming pity remorse
someone else...
did not

Maybe today...

They walked right past
watching them embarrassment
guilt no pride
just looking driving walking away
safer to run not think
but cannot run anymore
reaching out my hand

Let me help... today.

C.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Did you write this post then?

jedimerc said...

I actually wrote the poem about a year ago, and was going to post it at one point down the road but I read a similar story on another blog that was similar to my own inspiration, I decided to go ahead and add this.

jedimerc said...

I think some of it is the fact we get so desensitized to them, and we try and rationalize what may happen if we do help... some are out to scam us, but then some are in true need of help. It's a tough thing, considering how cynical our society has become.