28 November 2006

An Epiphany

This particular piece actually fits my own philosophical debates concerning higher questions and sometimes higher answers. (and is an excellent continuation of the previous post) I wrote it in a fit of inspiration (hence an epiphany) while traveling along the Great Ocean Road in South Australia back in 2004. It was sort of a lead in to many of the issues that I have tackled since and hope to continue to explore, and what really lead to my writing many more poems in my travels that year in Australia.

'Epiphanies'

All my yesterdays combine
at points hidden and seen,
in sweeping vistas and distant shores;
places I have longed for,
wanted, and still feel.

This fabric of being cries out,
desperate to understand these moments
counting on tomorrow's concealed joy.
Is it right to wonder
For what I know could never be?

Journeys into future's days
are lost in revelations of past beauty;
an instant of perfect harmony,
a resurgence of the unrequited,
worth the struggles, travails, and pain.

Within myself I have found
memories of the unknowable
reaching beyond time and soul
into the spiral arms
of a universe's welcoming love.

It lingers in us all...
our lives, our loves
our pain, and our sorrow;
borne from the cradle of time
yet rests in the currents of our soul.

I understand the truth
of who I might still be;
No longer waiting in a world of dreams.

C.

7 comments:

Janet said...

I like the title of this poem. It goes nicely with the poem itself.

jedimerc said...

Thank you... one of the things I try to visualize is the title, which then helps me write the poem (actually title and ending, and I'm golden :)

In this case, inspiration and the title were interchangeable.

jedimerc said...

Thank you and when I receive a comment like that, it makes the writing worth it :)

Rain said...

Excellent poem!

I know the road you speak of, I was on the same path in 1984 (I left a piece of my heart there with a handsome surfer) and again in 1988 when I met my sons soon to be godparents. It truly is a beautiful country!

jedimerc said...

Oh, I loved that part of Australia. I was on a small tour, so it was a little rushed. When I did a similar route around SW Australia, I took my time (about a month) and it was well worth the experience.

Janet said...

When I used to write more poetry I would often come up with a title first and then the content. In fact, I still do that now with blogging sometimes!

jedimerc said...

I do something like that with blogging... to me, a catchy title and a great ending always seem to help :) Now the inbetween content should be good too, lol.