13 November 2006

Remakes

I was asked this question on this blog: http://www.theartofgettingby.com about my favorite remakes... I assume one might talk about movies and tv shows as well as songs, so here goes in no particular order:

1) 'Sacrifice' first by Elton John, remade by Sinead O'Conner... really a great song made better.
2) 'Battlestar Galactica' Most of the remake of the series I really liked, though I quibble on the whole Starbuck thing.
3) 'Hurt' first by Nine Inch Nails but remade superbly by the great Johnny Cash. A superior version in every way.
4) 'One' first by U2, again later by Johnny Cash... a very soulful version, but I love both versions really.
5) 'Shameless' first by Billy Joel, later by Garth Brooks... again, I like both versions.
6) Do later versions of Star Trek count? Probably not :) (just TNG, I might add)
7) 'The Manchurian Candidate'. For some reason, I just liked this movie remake better than the original one.
8) 'Back in the USSR' by the Beatles, later by Billy Joel. I really loved a live version of this that Billy Joel did in Russia.
9) 'Great Balls of Fire' by Jerry Lee Lewis, later by Elton John... I saw this version live in concert in 1995 when both Billy Joel and Elton John played at Texas Stadium.
10) 'Dune', the Sci Fi channel remake, far superior to the mess David Lynch made in 1984, although I did like the music in the original one (and Sting was cool as Feyd).

Ok, that should cover it...

C.

9 comments:

Janet said...

Interesting choices. Believe it or not, I don't think we overlap at all. Or maybe you have an easier time believing it than I realize!:)

Becky said...

Interesting in that it make take me a while before I can answer this one, esp. when it comes to music where I don't know much and which person actually had the orignial vs. the remake.

jedimerc said...

janet: I guess I think everyone should have similar interests as me :)

kate: Funny, I used to hate 'U2' when I was in junior high (when they first came out), but as I've gotten older, I've liked them a whole lot more.

becky: On a lot of covers and remakes I don't know as much as I have let on, only my terribly extensive knowledge of Billy Joel, Elton John and Johnny Cash allowed me to compile this list :)

Natsthename said...

When I first heard that Cash cover, it made me cry. I have it in my list, too.

And that is one of the few songs I can stand by Garth. He owns it with his cover!!

jedimerc said...

Garth's 'The Dance' is always a classic, but there are few country songs I enjoy, though I have a soft spot for Kenny Rogers' older stuff. I admit to being rather narrow of focus with music, but I enjoy what I enjoy and can listen to such things all day long, which is weird, because I have to have variety with movies and books.

Lyndon said...

I can't believe I forgot Johnny Cash! Great list by the way :-)

jedimerc said...

Thanks, and thanks for stopping by... yeah, with Johnny Cash one could add most of his last 5 albums, which had a majority of covers, and good ones at that (and of course, a few amazing ones)

Anonymous said...

There's another remake of One by Mary J Blige. I don't like the rest of her music but I like that song. It actually "features" U2 so that's a bit odd.

jedimerc said...

That is odd... the word 'features' implies more than a cover one should think. I've never been a fan of her music really myself. Thanks for dropping by.