15 November 2006

The Shade of Trees

I could call this a re-write, but I lost the original and all of it has been altered except for the title. It was necessary for me to re-write this even though I did like the original a great deal, but the meaning has changed, and in a lot of ways I liked this more. It is not exactly a new composition, but I had forgotten I had written it about a month ago, so reading it again is quite refreshing since I might have lost it to a little absentmindedness. And yes, both versions were oddly inspired by Gen. Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson's dying words... 'Let us cross over the river and rest underneath the shade of trees.'.

'The Shade of Trees'

Wait for me...
Help me shield this distant heart,
Lest we forget
The words and wonder which
Brought us to such a moment
Beneath the enduring calm of
The shade of trees.

Let me reach to you...
Calm the burden of our souls;
Allow me to forgive
The troubles and trials that
Have plagued my mind,
And let us earn such
A welcome respite.

Wait for me...
And I will wait for you
Beyond the river's edge,
Amid the warm embrace of
Time.

C.

No comments: