11 November 2006

Stranger Than Borat

Because I have no life, I decided to see a couple of movies tonight. And I rarely comment on most movies I see... I leave that to those more eloquent than I in the field of criticism(I can critique when I want to, but I always seem to leave out details that other reviewers like to include). Anyway, I saw 'Borat!' (and I won't go with the full title here, but if you know about it then you know about the crazy title too) and 'Stranger than Fiction'. First off, 'Stranger than Fiction was quite funny and amusing, and I enjoyed it a great deal. More romantic than I thought it would be, but it had some good acting and a rather quirky plot. I do recommend it, perhaps more at a matinee or student rate price then doling out the normal extortative rates.

Now 'Borat!'... I'm still laughing. I was laughing about it while watching the other movie. I haven't laughed that much in ages. I will still be laughing tomorrow. It was so obscene (at least in a very, very farcical sense) and hysterical at the same time, I had to comment about it. Also, Sacha Baron Cohen (who plays Borat), did a nice job with the social commentary because some of the funnier bits were people's reactions to Borat and how they revealed their own social quirks, to be nice about it. And for a movie that is only 84 minutes long, it felt longer, but in a good way. While it was occasionally squirm inducing, the remaining moments more than made up for it.

Alright, that is enough for now. Hopefully, the convention will be better tomorrow (as today was not as good as I would have liked). Everyone enjoy the weekend.

C.

2 comments:

Becky said...

One of my co-workers also described Stranger Than Fiction as a good romantic comedy, which totally surprised me b/c the previews don't indicate that to be a major plot point. I really like Emma in just about anything she does, so I'll definitely catch it on the Netflix in a couple of months.

As for Borat, I just can't do it...yet. Some of the clips I've seen seem rather harsh, though I have to admit that some of the descriptions on peoples' blogs have been rather funny.

jedimerc said...

Stranger than Fiction surprised me as well... I was thinking it would be far lighter and less existential, but good nonetheless.

Oh, Borat is harsh... no doubt. In fact, many a person are suing over the movie, saying they were duped... but it does make their reactions funnier :)