21 November 2006

Past of Future's Days

Being quite the science fiction fan (as if anyone could have guessed), the future is a special place for me, one that I could always escape to in books, movies, television and writing. At times, I welcomed the future, other times yearning for it, but never really understanding it until it has passed. And like many, that is often times the case. Of course, as one who has a sense of history, I look to the past to understand the future as much as anyone can who loves both history and the history of the future (which at times sci fi can be).

Sometimes, one must glance inward to see what might become of us in the years to come, or simply to see if our lives were worth the fuss we made of them 20 years ago. Below is a poem that, like the future, has evolved over the years from a piece regarding writing, to an examination of self, to finally, the present hoping to see if it has all been worthwhile. One would like to think so, and I feel that I understand the future a little more and am even more optimistic about the years to come. And I suppose I should be thankful that science fiction is, by its nature, an optimistic endeavour, for it purports (most of the time), that we, despite ourselves, will survive to see our future's days.

'Past of Future's Days'

You were my escape,
My release from the doldrums of life
A place we shared...
Only us.
You knew where I could be.

You were a wonder,
Something I would always behold
Giving me respite...
Our vision.
You understood what I could be.

You were my joy,
Warmth in the cold of this world
Helping me understand...
Myself.
You saw who I could be.

You were the future.
Am I all you thought I would be?

C.

3 comments:

jedimerc said...

Thanks so much again, and I have to admit, I rather like that verse myself, and it sort of hit me in a fit of editing (one of the few times I've really done a serious edit on my stuff) and was perfect for the tone of the poem, and, really for my own understanding as well.

Rain said...

I am certainly feeling this one...well done! Isn't it wonderful to have someone positive in your life, who encourages us to become a better person?

Have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!

jedimerc said...

Indeed it is, though this was a bit more metaphorical, but I love to see a view I might not have seen before :) Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving.