07 January 2007

Points Of No Return

Thought I would post something different to take my mind of tonight... I did watch 'Patton' and that always helps... nothing like war movies to sooth a troubled heart :)

I have made it fairly clear that my favorite musical is 'Phantom of the Opera'. At one point, I was fairly obsessed with it, going so far as memorizing the libretto (from listening to it so much). It was also a musical I always wanted to be in; however, my crappy singing voice prevented such things... I can carry a note, I just do not sound good. In any event, these trials do not detract from my love of the musical, which I have seen three times, once in Los Angeles and twice in Dallas, all times with remarkably good seats, the best being in LA, when I had sixth row dead center. I think I only paid fifty-six dollars each for those (back in 1992), which would be significantly higher now I am sure. Anyway, with all that obsession I have written a couple of items regarding 'Phantom', and one in particular I always liked, though edited over the years. When I was younger, I also saw this as a sort of metaphor, thinking I was filled with some internal darkness that could not be cured... eh, I was young. In any event, hope you enjoy it.

'Ode'

From the shadow, I will haunt you
Monstrous, pitied by none...
Night hides my imperfections,
A torment, borne from fear.
Look not, lest you fall.

Dare you to see
What lies beyond this mask?

In this moment, I will love you
A loathsome creature, destroyed by hate...
Your visage soothes this pain,
A madness, lost in your eyes.
Speak not, lest you weep.

Dare you to feel
The beat of this mournful heart?

In the 'morn, I will yield
Even if the thought is agony...
Your love heals these wounds,
A joy, made whole in your smile.
Remember, lest you forget.

C.

No comments: