02 January 2007

Hour Of The Wolf

Lat night, as I lay awake, I was thinking of the following piece and the Hour of the Wolf, so named for those restless hours before dawn when one wakes up and cannot get back to sleep (And also the title of a 4th season Babylon 5 episode for the citation minded :) . In my case, I had not been to sleep, which is about the norm these days. That time of night, though, is strange and wondrous, and as one becomes more sleep deprived, little things change. Sounds, thoughts, even what you see shifts a little. Strange, but I've seen it enough to know that perception shifts late at night, or early in the 'morn, however you wish to view it.

Not surprisingly, I've written a lot in the middle of the night, those times when memory wants to consume you and all you can do is regret, wonder, and worry. The following is an older stream of consciousness piece that to me, sums up those memories and the danger of what might have been and what was.

'Hour of the Wolf'

Lying awake....

Gentle sighs between nervous tensions of
Passionate tenderness eschewing
A disquiet memory of longing for that sweet
Ecstasy belying its own beauty hoping for
That enduring but fleeting instant
Which cannot be worn away.

Whispers of words lost in moments of heightened
Revelation which are forgotten and
Remembered between the seconds of
Overwhelming intensity lasting as
Needed or wanting for more.

Simple passion yet complex rhythms on
Nights time slipped into wonder culminating in a
Singular movement filled with driven
Amazement as surreal and real collide enveloping
Sensuality bringing it to that place
Within the wellspring of souls.

The image fades...
Haunting the hours before dawn.

C.

5 comments:

jedimerc said...

It is supposedly Russian in origin, according the the episode of Babylon 5 at least :)

SQT said...

Now I have a name to give to those hours that stalk me every so often. It seems appropriate to me, naming them after a wolf. When sleep is elusive and the hours wear away at me. Yes, they feel very wolf-like in nature.

jedimerc said...

Those clever Russians and a certain Babylon 5 writer :)

Yeah, I'm way to acquanited with those times of night. Thanks for dropping by!

Summer said...

The wolf and I are great friends.

jedimerc said...

The wolf and I have a personal, though tense relationship :)