08 January 2007

Military/ War Movies

After watching 'Patton' last night, and using this as a sort of pretext to my next entry (which will likely be a review of 'The Rising Tide' by Jeff Shaara, then I may bore everyone with some more poems and the like), I compiled a list of fifteen war/military movies that I really, really liked, inspired me, or affected me deeply. I would put Ken Burn's 'Civil War' on the list, but it is most certainly a documentary and not a Hollywood release, which all of these are, or at least eventually made it to Hollywood and American release. This also does not cover any newer movies, though I am sure 'Letters From Iwo Jima' will be up there when it is all said and done. As far as what qualifies as a military/war movie, it is pretty simple. If fighting between rival armies occurs, it can qualify, so there might be a few that are not quite what you might consider a war movie, but I do because it happens during the backdrop of war. Also, because I like so many of these types of films, I also have a category at the end called: Also Receiving Votes, much like the Top 25 polls in College Sports.

15 War/Military Films:

1) Glory (1989): Starring: Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, and Morgan Freeman. Some would surely place this lower, but for sheer spectacle and inspiration, this is far and away my favorite, and though it did not win for best musical score, it should have, probably deserving of more Oscars than the two it received.

2) Last of the Mohicans (1992): Starring: Daniel-Day Lewis, Madeline Stowe and Wes Studi. While this is at times a romance, it is most assuredly a war film, set during the backdrop of the Seven Years/French and Indian War. The soundtrack to this film is simply amazing, and elevates it on the list for inspiration alone.

3) Dances With Wolves (1990): Starring: Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, and Graham Greene. One of my favorite westerns, and as a military film, captures the post civil-war military very well and one of the most beautifully photographed films ever.

4) Full Metal Jacket (1987): Starring: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, and Vincent D'Onofrio. The first half of this film is almost perfect, with R. Lee Ermey's performance one of the most memorable in any military film. The film's sometimes slow second half (though the siege of Hue was done nicely) keeps this from being in the top spot.

5) Patton (1970): Starring: George C. Scott and Karl Malden. Scott's performance as Patton is the most memorable in any military film and won him an Academy Award (and the film garnished 7 others). This film grows on me every time I see it, and even after reading accounts of the real George S. Patton, I enjoy it even more (even though Scott thought his portrayal did not do the real Patton justice). And as General Omar Bradly, Karl Malden plays the perfect counter to the larger than life Patton.

6) We Were Soldiers (2002): Starring: Mel Gibson, Barry Pepper, Greg Kinnear, and Sam Elliott. The first of two Gibson films on this list. He may be reviled, but he is in great war films, and this is the most accurate of his films (since he did not direct it). One of the most brilliant films about the soldier's burden, showing both sides in the first major battle of the Vietnam War. A fascinating move, and even better book.

7) The Last Samurai (2003): Starring: Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe. I probably should have listed Watanbe first, since his performance is mainly the reason this film is on this list, though the masterful score and cinematography help. An impeccable film, even if one has to endure Cruise.

8) A Bridge Too Far (1977): Starring: Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Laurence Olivier, Edward Fox, Anthony Hopkins, Ryan O'Neal, James Caan, Robert Redford, Maximilian Schell, Gene Hackman, and Liv Ullman. Perhaps one of the most star-studded films of the last half of the 20th century, and to me, the only reason it is not more well known is because of another 'War' film that premiered in 1977. Based on a book by Cornelius Ryan (who also wrote 'The Longest Day') and directed by Richard Attenborough, this is a splendid film about Operation: Market Garden, which was one of the most ambitious operations of WWII.

9) The Longest Day (1962): Starring: Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Rod Steiger, George Segal, Robert Wagner, Robert Mitchum and Roddy McDowell. The movie that Saving Private Ryan could have been, and the definitive movie about D-Day, with a cast comparable to A Bridge Too Far and in many ways better. Only winning two Oscars, perhaps deserving of more. Fantastic movie.

10) Gallipoli (1981): Starring: Mel Gibson and Mark Lee. Directed by Peter Weir, this Australian film about two runners who wind up at Gallipoli, is one that is at times idealistic and haunting. Perhaps not as polished as other films on this list, it makes up for it in the power and tragedy of the invasion of the Dardanelles at Gallipoli where the ANZAC's (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps), in their first battle of the Great War, were annihilated.

11) Platoon (1986): Starring: Charlie Sheen, Wilhem Dafoe and Tom Berenger. Oliver Stone's famous Vietnam film is a great one, but always felt a little impersonal to me and focused too much on the degenerate attitude of many of the soldiers (whether true or not). Still, filled with powerful imagery and great acting.

12) Tora, Tora, Tora (1970): Starring: Jason Robards, E.G. Marshall, and James Whitmore. Perhaps overshadowed by Patton, but the movie that 'Pearl Harbor' could have been, and easily better acted though without the benefit of the CGI scenes of the later movie. Still, a classic and worth watching.

13) Black Hawk Down (2001): Starring: Ewan Mc Gregor, Jason Isaacs, Josh Hartnett, Tom Sizemore, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana, and Sam Shepard. Perhaps a modern day A Bridge Too Far in its casting, this film by Ridley Scott about the ambush in Mogadishu, Somalia of Army Rangers is one of the best films dealing with modern combat. Once the fighting starts, it is unrelenting, at times harrowing, and very realistic. Some would call the operation a failure, and perhaps so, but it belittles the courage of the 100 some-odd men who faced off against thousands of Somali rebels and to my mind, prevailed.

14) Saving Private Ryan (1998): Starring: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Vin Diesel, Barry Pepper, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns and Giovanni Rbisi. Some might call the film a bit nationalistic as it appears to give full credit to the D-day invasion to the US, but the scene of the landing at Omaha Beach is one of the most powerful in movie history. Further, it is still an extremely well acted film.

15) The Thin Red Line (1998): Starring: Sean Penn, John Cusack, Nick Nolte, Jim Caviezel, Adrien Brody, Woody Harrelson and Elias Koteas (plus numerous other 'star' cameos). A lot of folks did not like this film, but I felt the existential feel of much of the film was very inspirational to me, and allowed it to creep up on this list. The combat scenes were not in the league of Saving Private Ryan, but they did not need to be.

Honorable Mention: Grave of the Fireflies (1988): I was reminded by this of another blogger's post, and totally forgot to add it. This film by directed by Iso Takahata is an anime, but the fact it is animated does not detract from its power and simply ability to tear you up inside. This is the heart-wrenching story of a brother and sister who struggle to survive the Tokyo firebombings in WWII. One that stays with you.

Also Receiving Votes (in no particular order): Braveheart, Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, In Harm's Way, The Patriot, The Green Berets, Gladiator, Bridge on the River Kwai, Breaker Morant, Lawrence of Arabia, Heartbreak Ridge, Spartacus, and Apocalypse Now.

That should cover it, and though it is late, hope to get the review sometime tomorrow :)

C.

12 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

That's a great list ... I would have hade Bridge on the River Kwai in the top 15, but that's just a quibble

jedimerc said...

Bridge on the River Kwai is a great film, but I suppose it didn't affect me as much as the other films did, but still made the 'also receiving votes' portion :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

War movies are not normally my thing, although I am open to watching them. The ones I've really liked are Last of the Mohicans, Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers and Jarhead. Three Kings was pretty good too, although I guess that doesn't quite fit into the same category.

Btw, you're right, the guy who runs Hutt River Province isn't really all there. And don't bother with any regret over missing it. Some of my friends just made a trip there and they said it was pretty boring.

jedimerc said...

Three Kings fits to some degree and was a great film as well. I just had so many to list, I could have made it far too long and boring :)

Well, from the map and the history, Hutt River appears to be simply a family or three on a larger spread claiming to be a 'principality' or some such.

Anonymous said...

A very good list!
I would of included "To Hell and Back" starring Audie Murphy as himself.
He wanted Tony Curtis to play his part but the studios wouldn't hear of it and Audie was forced to play the part.
It is a very good war film. Very well done.

jedimerc said...

'To Hell and Back' is certainly a good film, and I didn't know that bit of trivia with the studio.

Thanks for dropping by!

Becky said...

About five of these are on my top list as well. I still have yet to see The Thin Red Line, which I believe is in my Netflix queue. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend Band of Brothers (if we've talked about it already, I'm sorry!).

jedimerc said...

Like I said, Thin Red Line is very ethereal and existential broken up by chaotic scenes of battle.. very well acted and in many ways just as equal as Saving Private Ryan.

I don't think we've talked about Band of Brothers, but I have seen most of it when it was replaying on History Channel.

MadameBoffin said...

Band of Brothers is excellent. I loved the Thin Red Line and I always thought it was a shame it was so overshadowed by Saving Private Ryan (even though SPR is a brilliant movie too). Last of the Mohicans is one of my all-time favourite movies ever and Dances With Wolves would've been if not for such a sad ending..

jedimerc said...

I tried to respond earlier, but blogger was being evil... I liked the few episodes of Band of Brothers I saw, but I didn't include it since it was technically a mini-series and not a feature release :) And agree with you on Thin Ref Line as well.

Bartez said...

I would add here "Hamburger Hill" and "Bravo Two Zero".
I haven't seen "Flags Of Our Fathers" and the other one (Japan part).

jedimerc said...

Letters From Iwo Jima is one of the best war movies I've ever seen... I should update the list and put it on it. Really, really good.