22 January 2007

No Return

When going through and labeling my posts, I was sort of surprised I had not added this particular piece, written after one of the many bombings and conflicts between Palestine and Israel, a conflict that, territorially, has been going on since the 9th century BCE (the idea that the Israelites 'conquered' Canaan is lacking in concrete proof) when various kingdoms and empires decided to wrestle over the region. Still, my inspiration was more recent events and those events have inspired too much for my taste. I could also write something about the hope that justice might take the place of vengeance, but I am tired of sounded like a broken record in that regard.

'No Return'

From stones and swords,
To bombs and tanks,
The result is always the same.
Neither side accepting the blame,
For the madness they have unleashed
Upon their fragile domains.

By foot and by horse,
And by car and by plane,
The message they send remains.
Both sides unable to hear
The voices of their God,
Listening instead to the cries of rage.

Because of fear and anger,
Blood and hatred remains.
The result will still be the same,
Neither side giving in,
Until no one is left alive
To inhabit their fragile domains.

C.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad but true

jedimerc said...

Alas, and it seems like it gets worse everytime...

btw, glad you had a great time at the con.. I sort of miss them, but I have one coming up first weekend in February (2-4), so all will be well.

egan said...

Blogging sure is fun isn't it?

jedimerc said...

It has its moments :)

egan said...

You're not using the Force are you?

jedimerc said...

Only to maintain my sanity, and to practice my lightsaber forms (prefer form II, the fencing form, myself).

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I'm sure you've guessed by reading some of my posts and comments that I'm not a strong fan of most modern poetry. However, I think there are still some voices that need to be heard.

I like the questions raised by this piece. Have you ever read the poems of John Berryman?

jedimerc said...

I have not read him, but I will try and check him out... most poetry I read is not modern, I just write it :) (though when I was on some writing workshop sites, I reviewed hundreds of fledgling poets, so that was modern in a sense).

I have always thought when I write politcal/war poetry I am giving voice to those who might not be to do so... it's the least I can do.