20 January 2007

Ilios

Something strange happened today... while reading an article on the archaeology of the Trojan War, I was inspired to write something I had mulling about in my head for some time. Thank the Muse...

To the reader: Ilios is the 8th century BCE form of what we know as the city-state of Troy (hence the name of the book called 'The Iliad').

'Ilios'

Where rests the glory of this fabled shore?
In the remnants of the tormented dead?
Perhaps those that have seen the end,
Cast from the heights of blood-stained walls.

Innocence...

Lost beneath the waves of a wine-dark sea.

What price secured this fabled shore?
How many fell to spear and bow?
Amid the cries of the forgotten and forlorn,
The stench of battle permeates the air.

Victory...

Made whole within the flames of heroic pyres.

Who weeps now for this fabled shore?
This realm of black-hearted gods and men?
They stand beyond the veil of time
In the form of Hades' breathless dead.

Ilios...

Her glory tempered by the memory of a wine-dark sea.

C.

9 comments:

M said...

that was really powerful. I'm shit at poetry so I absolutely admire anyone who can write it!

jedimerc said...

I do appreciate it... especially since I hadn't written anything poetically since before Thanksgiving... and I had been mulling a poem about Troy ever since I read a book about ancient Greece almost a year ago, but it seemed like I would get sidetracked or lose the thoughts... anyway, long explanation to say thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I feel like crying havoc but I'm at home so I'll let slip the dogs of war on the washing up.

And what Mez said.

Rain said...

Excellent poem...I love your writing.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and for reaching across the blogosphere in the name of friendship.

Have a great week!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The muse comes from the strangest things sometimes. My stories tend to be inspired by songs.

jedimerc said...

phill: thanks and yeah, sometimes the dogs of war need a break :)

rain: you have a great week as well and thanks for dropping by and reading as always.

mistress: I've been inspired by a few songs... but mostly images and words for me, though I must admit I see words in strange ways.

jedimerc said...

Wow, you know you've arrived when you get your first blog spam :)

Becky said...

Wow, that's really good and especially for something you wrote that quickly. I'm not talented with poetry:(

jedimerc said...

I've found that if I agonise over what I write it ends up worse (unless I am re-writing something older) sometimes... I will say, you are a far better critic than I am :)