01 December 2006

Listening To The Band

Not a music post, but one dealing with the great pandemic of our time: AIDS. As today is Worlds AIDS day, I thought I would add this poem I wrote a couple of years back. I was inspired in part by one of my favorite books: In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman F. Cantor and the fantastic movie about the early struggle with AIDS: And the Band Played On. In this piece I make allusions and comparisons to the Black Plague (which was probably two diseases: Bubonic Plague and Anthrax, hence the two forms of the Plague) and AIDS, not in the similarities of the diseases themselves, but the idea of the pandemic that can change the world, especially if public awareness slips. In the case of the Plague, its mere existence changed the world and helped shape the modern world. I am not sure what kind of world AIDS will shape when it is all said and done, but if we continue to pay lip service to a very real pandemic, there might not be enough of us left to pay lip service. Also, AIDS has a tendency to mutate, like many viruses, and perhaps something worse will come about if AIDS is not stopped, or at the least contained.

'Listening to the Band'

Smooth notes distracting,
Danse Macabre reaping,
Broken hearts weeping,
Another soul contracting,
Plague biding its time.

Blood pathogens corroding,
Red ribbons hiding,
No longer siding,
Public support eroding,
Death enjoying its time.

Third world inciting,
This problem denying,
Nations against trying,
Instead keeps fighting,
Compassion wasting its time.

Talking heads braying,
About life saving,
Vaccine effects staving,
Doctors are praying,
Hope buying more time.

Jagged fear returning,
Band still waiting,
Good feelings abating,
Pandemic tide turning,
Who's listening this time?

Smooth notes distracting,
Danse Macabre reaping,
Another soul weeping,
Plague keeps reacting,
Death listening this time.

C.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to send a link to your site to my friend May, who lost both of her sons to AIDS and to my Father who is a drug and alcohol counselor for HIV/AIDS patients.

You are right, we need to find a cure for AIDS, ASAP!

Have a great weekend =0)

jedimerc said...

With all our resources, we should be able to stop this, but it is a matter of seeing the priorities... saving lives over ending them.

Thanks for reading :)

Janet said...

As morbid as it sounds, the movie And The Band Played On is one of my favorites. I found it to be so compelling, frustrating and dare I say entertaining and educational, all at the same time.

Retro Girl said...

Another movie that really touched me was In The Gloaming about a mother and her son who is dying of AIDS.

Thank you on behalf of my friend who is not hear to speak for himself, and so many others---so much for your efforts in this fight against the evil horrific monster that is AIDS. Thanks for sharing with others - Knowledge and Safety are Power in this fight!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are always welcome :-)

jedimerc said...

janet: And the Band Played On is one of my favorites too. Some great acting, and very well written. (and definitely frustrating).

retro girl: Thanks for stopping by as well and I will have to check out that movie... have not seen it. And Knowledge is power... absolitely.

jedimerc said...

I always kept missing that movie... wanted to see it. I also liked 'Torch Song Trilogy' one of the earlier movies about AIDS.