08 December 2006

Do You Remember Freedom?

The whole idea of the word freedom is an interesting concept, one that I think is misunderstood at times. For some, they believe they can do anything they want regardless of the consequences. For others, they realize the gravity and responsibility of the word. Like all things, freedom comes with a price, and ours has been the sacrifices of others for us to enjoy so many privileges that are taken for granted (and I am certainly not blameless here either). Doing what I am doing right now is the result of events set in motion by those who have sacrificed for freedom. Still, it is easy to give up freedom in exchange for other things: security, comfort, employment. It has been done, and will be done again. This is the cold example of history. History also reveals that while we believe we are all born free and have the right to be free, for the majority of our minuscule existence, this was not so. Freedom is a new concept, temporally speaking, and one wonders sometimes, when my words mean so little in ages hence, if we will, or have the right to, remember.

What follows is almost a commentary wrapped in a poem, or some slightly poetic prose that is a bit of a departure in style, perhaps more free verse than I am accustomed, and certainly a lot more sarcastic than normal. I wrote it not too long ago, but many it existed in a conceptual (meaning raw) form some years earlier

'Freedom'

At least I'm free...

Ever feel as if you're caught between right and wrong?
Or is it right and left...
The fencepost hurts.
A third way, not the way...
Republican, Democrat the only... Green!
Republican, Democrat the only way.
But it's a democracy!
Well, no. A federated republic actually.
Tired of feeling compelled to make a choice
When no choice will do?
Story of the world...
At least we have a choice at all.

At least I'm free...

Ever feel like you can't say what's on your mind?
Who to offend... why to offend...
Time to get sued!
But the First Amendment protects...
Stop it or I'll sue!
I did not harass, just said hello
That's it I'll sue!
Wonder if it is all worth it
With the power of judicial review
Judicial what? *sigh*
Want my freedom of speech!
At least if they don't sue.

At least I'm free...

Ever feel the need to question these ridiculous acts?
Is it unconstitutional, unpatriotic, treasonous
To demand removal
Of damnable laws and homeland threats?
But we need to be protected!
At what cost?
How many lives is your freedom worth?
Tired of wondering who is watching you
In those private, quiet moments...
I want freedom to live my life,
Something new in this world.

At least I'm free...

Ever feel if you're caught between right and wrong?
Knowing what you must do.
Wanting to defend the greatness of a country
From the arrogant few
Who seek more power to corrupt
To destroy... to limit freedom.
What will be the cost?
To make this place great again
What can we do?
Wonder if the struggle is worth it
With Big Brother poised to strike
Want to live free or... what?
Just want to live my life.

Hey, at least I'm free...

In two hundred years we'll all be dead...
All our words forgotten.
What, then will endure?
Perhaps a lament...
Do you remember when we were free?

C.

2 comments:

Janet said...

You are right. Freedom does have a lot of different meanings and in America, it is definitely something that we take for granted.

jedimerc said...

To me, freedom is as much a responsibility as it is a right or a privilege... we have to work to make it work or the idea loses meaning.