10 December 2006

Two Journeys

I had thought about being a little depressing, perhaps complaining some about the Cowboy's dreadful loss against the Saints (and I like the Saints too, so not too mortified... it could have been the Eagles or Redskins). It often happens and I had a little bit of malaise concerning some family issues, but I am determined to let it roll and instead post something that is somewhat dear to me,while still appealling to my inner nerd and those who are inner nerds, especially Star Wars fans. What follows might appeal to sci fi fans in general, but this is mostly a misty memoir about watching the Saga with my brother and other family over a span of nearly 30 years. It also chronicles my journey in relation to the movies, in a sense what I was doing and where I was going.

In the end, it is a bit sentimental and perhaps overblown and a little personal; however, Star Wars was and is a major influence in my life and explains a few things :) I wrote this piece around the time of the last film, and as the 30th anniversary approaches, I thought I would post this.

And looking back on how things have gone, I am not sure I would change things... much.

'Two Journeys'

Not so long ago,
Dreaming of galaxies far away...

So young and naive, barely a child
Reaching toward something so amazing,
Real and imagined, borne of heroes
And hope...
The triumph of good, knowing it would
Always prosper... always vanquish
Evil.

Brothers and friends rebelled against
An empire of bedtimes, watching one last time,
Winning another fantastic battle, bred from
Endless summers...
We waited for another triumph, fearless
As youth can be... not understanding
What was to come.

Fathers and Sons tried to understand
How to redeem each other from their own
Fall from grace, tempered by unenviable
Pain...
I held fast through the suffering, believing
As an innocent would... triumphant in survival.
Evil would not wait.

Facing adulthood, still a tad naive,
Traveling from a continent to another,
Real beyond words, torn by images
Of death...
What was good did not prosper, not in that
Cruel, terrible place... understanding
What fear really was.

So young and naive, just a child
Reaching back to a mother's love,
Warm and real, but lost hidden in a realm
Of fear...
Good had its triumphs, hoping it could still
Prosper... Evil, though,
Could wait.

Love and lovers reveled as they often do,
Spurning empires of reality, dreaming another Time,
Ecstatic in fantastic moments of desire, born
From Love's ideals...
We embraced what could not end, confident in our
Goodness... not realizing how quick
It fades.

Triumph and tragedy become such a blur,
Defined by moments, some real... others imagined,
Though still yearning for something so amazing
Yet always beyond our grasp...
Heroes and villains, darkness and light...
A choice... not understanding
The source of one's fear.

It all comes to a close...
I remember being so young and hopeful
Not so long ago,
Still dreaming of a galaxy far, far away...

C.

5 comments:

Natsthename said...

That was wonderful, even coming from one who is Empress of Bedtime!

Keep on dreaming of that galaxy!

ombren said...

that was my favorite line: an empire of bedtimes

it is interesting how much those movies, or movies even in general, have shaped lives.

jedimerc said...

nat: thanks for reading and I doubt I will ever stop dreaming of that galaxy :)

kim: my favorite line as well... I just thought it seemed appropriate for kids that never wanted the day to end.

Movies, as a rule, are an art form, and it only seems fair that if a book can shape lives, why not movies... one of my favorite lines about movies comes from Steve Martin in the movie Grand Canyon... 'You know what your problem is, you don't see enough movies. The answers to all of life's mysteries can be found in the movies' (or something to that effect)

dan said...

"Fan Boyz" the movie. Find the trailer.

The part where the Star Wars fans destroy the Picard statue? Priceless.

jedimerc said...

I have heard of it, and will try and have a look... ah, Star Wars fans that make me feel normal, that is priceless :)