04 December 2006

TV Game Shows

Another list so it must be a 'Tell It To Me Tuesday' over at http://www.theartofgettingby.com/ I've watched far too many game shows in the past and present, mostly because I have felt I could beat the pants of most of the people on those shows. Modesty aside, here a few that I love for intellectual and sentimental reasons:

1) Jeopardy: My favorite of all time. The last time I was in LA, I wanted to audition, but they had closed them for the time being. Missed my shot at Ken Jennings, and yes, I think I could beat him and the guy that beat Jennings. Jeopardy appeals to my inner nerd and on the right day with the right categories, I could make quite a run (so long as I did not get 18th century opera or East Asian literature :)

2) The Price is Right: I always loved this show because I watched so much as a kid at my grandmothers house, and Bob Barker was always one of the best hosts on TV. The price games were always entertaining too.

3) Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?: I thought this show was nominally too easy and probably should audition for it if given the chance. C'mon... multiple choice? Bah. The same goes for 1 vs. 100, perhaps the easiest money on television.

4) Deal or No Deal: I enjoy this mostly because I like to watch people completely ignore the odds for the sake of greed... and, are they ever going to get any calm people on this show?

5) Wheel of Fish...um, I mean Fortune: (if you have seen 'UHF' you understand) I like the puzzle quality to this show, and this show has had some staying power offering some complexity combined with luck (which means 'Deal or No Deal' could be on forever :)

That, as they say, is that and thanks for playing.

C.

5 comments:

Natsthename said...

I liked UHF lots better than Wheel Of Fish! The Price Is Right annoys me. Maybe it's that whole "Come On Down" thing, maybe it's Bob Barker. I don't know. One of my friends went to try to get on that show a long time ago. Bob's wife had been ill and it had been mentioned on the show on several occasions. My friend was picked from the audience to "try out" to get to come on down. He was told to ask Bob a question. He asked, "How's your wife doing?" Bob didn't answer, and the show people made him sit down. Bob's wife had died, but my friend did not even know it. Oops.

SwanShadow said...

Point of order: The "guy" who beat Ken Jennings was a woman named Nancy Zerg.

It was her only victory, as she lost her first game as defending champion.

Becky said...

Remember when they used to be the only thing on during the day? I think Millionaire killed itself from overexposure and being on three nights a week.

Janet said...

UHF! I know that's not the main point of this post, but now I'll have the bit part of that song I know running through my head all night:(

:)

jedimerc said...

What the... I could have sworn I commented... it let my create a post, but not comment... ok, let's try this again and if the other comment shows up, ignore this.

becky: I remember a time when it was soaps, game shows and the occasional talk show, and PBS :)

janet: I know how you feel... songs running through my head can happen at any moment.