21 December 2006

Thursday Thirteen

At one point I had promised to do a comparison a la Thursday Thirteen with Star Trek. Instead of Star Trek's merits versus another series. In the spirit of community accord to list reasons why Star Trek and Star Wars are great(and why) as opposed to the 'why one is better than another'. This way I can reasonably mollify the Star Wars and Star Trek fans without injuring the other's ego... unless you happen to be fans of both. So, without much fanfare I present 13 reasons Star Wars and Star Trek are awesome:

1) The Force: 'May the Force be with you' became a pop culture phrase of good feelings in the late 70's and early 80's but now it is more philosophical as The Force has become more universal (though I disagree with midicholirans... before The Force could be present in any of us. This made Force-users more specialized).

2) Phasers: Such a cool name for a weapon, plus generally far more destructive than the common 'laser' and 'plasma' weapons.

3) Lightsabers: No explanation necessary. If you were a kid in the late 70's and early 80's you wanted a lightsaber... admit it. I still want one, but I am, as I always admit, a super-nerd.

4) 'No, Luke. I... am your father.' The greatest line in movie history, one that even shocked the ones saying it. (In rehearsal, the line had to do with Obi-Wan killing Anakin).

5) Transporters: This is an easy one. Who wouldn't want to be teleported instantly anywhere on the planet, or a planet.

6) Warp Drive/Hyperspace: Again with the technology, but trans-light speed is a necessary component (if it is possible) to colonizing the galaxy.

7) Yoda and his abuse of the English Language: Awesome this is, I tell you.

8) Droids, or Androids if you will: I prefer R2 and C3PO over Data, but pick your poison, I suppose, though Data is more of a Deus Ex Machina than the droids.

9) The Fett-Man: 'nuff said :)

10) The Boys in White (Stormtroopers): Makes any ground battle easier. Of course, their training must have gotten worse later (or the genetic material got worse). One day, killing Jedi with ease. Next day, losing to Ewoks... go figure.

11) Khaaaan!!!: One of the great Shatnerisms ever. A bit over acted, Wrath of Khan is still my favorite Trek film.

12) Borg: An enemy to fear and sometimes respect. Added a sense of woe and terror to an otherwise placid Trek universe :)

13) Massed Starship Battles and Dogfights: Especially as a kid, this was amazingly cool, even if you can't hear the sounds in space.

Well, I could probably add 13 more, but in the interest of civility, I will forgo such a thing :)

C.

11 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Good list.. Live long and prosper.

Knitting Maniac said...

My mother got me the generic lightsaber. It was hard plastic with this cheesy light that barely lit the thing up, but i loved it. However, it hurt like he** when you got whacked with it.

jedimerc said...

angela: Thanks for stopping by and May the Force be with you :)

knitting maniac: the first lightsaber I got was the inflatible one from the first run of toys in '78. I liked the ones from Jedi that were hard plastic and had built in sound with no batteries (didn't light up though)

Anonymous said...

I loved Data! Star Trek: TNG was by far my favorite of the Treks...Patrick Stewart is just amazing!

I liked Wrath of Khan, it was a great movie too.

I'm not so much a Star Wars person, tho I liked the last movie that was in the theaters.

jedimerc said...

I grew up with TNG and loved that series myself. I have a nostalgiac responsiblity with the movies, but the acting in TNG was far superior to the other series.

I think some of SW: Episode III got a bad rep thanks to the previous two, but I enjoyed it, mostly for the slaughter of the Jedi and the final battle with Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I enjoy on-screen tragedy :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

My son and all his friends are still into Star Wars the way I was as a kid (although, obviously, he doesn't want to be Leia). Amazing how it's lasted.

Btw, I was a Deep Space 9 junkie. I liked that it was the darker storyline.

Happy TT, a day late!

jedimerc said...

I liked the darker story line, but I was watching Babylon 5 at the time and thought both war far too similar (and there has been some conspiracy about the fued between Rick Berman and Stracyznski over the two series). Still, there is a lot to like in Star Trek, and of course, much more in Star Wars :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen the Star Wars movies. I think I've probably seen only two snippets of the Trek series and maybe two of the movies. I think I like Data more that the droids, although R2 is very cool. I like how Data tries to be like the humans (I don't know if he does that all the time or if it was an episode/movie storyline.

How about Stargate? Now there's a cool show!

jedimerc said...

The Stargates I have seen have been pretty good, I just haven't watched it as much as other series.

I feel you can never go wrong with an R2 unit... it would make my life easier :)

Becky said...

You have to give credit to some of the things that permeated through to normal pop culture. Going to The Dark Side is another one that rings a bell. I remember hearing what made the sound for the light sabers and I forgot what it was, though I remember being surprised that it was something so...ordinary.

jedimerc said...

May the Force Be With You was the first big one, but going to the dark side has done that... also, the Evil Empire (Reagan's speech in the 80's). I remember the lightsaber thing as such, though can't remember what it was right off the top of my head.