21 December 2006

Personal Sin

Not original sin, if one is a proponent of such a thing, but something just as bad, a sin against one's self. This type of sin, or evil, or what ever you would like to call it is the root cause of other applications of sin and/or evil. And one can easily say that a sin is not evil, but evil could very well be a sin. Even doing some forms of good can be a sin (as I mentioned in the post 'A Good Heart and Right Action'). Still, the type of festering that allows such failings creates an attitude that can lead a soul down a darker path. And whatever path you may call at, a soul in such a dark place recovers only with extreme difficulty, time, and on occasion, a little hope.

This all leads to a relatively new piece, which combines the world of my continuous waking dreams with this contemplation upon the path of recovery from our personal brand of sin.

'Personal Sin'

Make me a dream...

Purging this curse of memory.
Let time forget
These sins I have borne,
Their stain...
Entombed within the deepening dark
Of my soul.

Give me some respite...

Cleansing this fire of madness.
Let me forgive
All that I have known,
My choice...
Concealing such burdens beneath the well
Of my heart.

Make me a dream...

If only to sleep...
Mayhap, even forget.

C.

4 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Do you ever listen to the band Disturbed? The title track from their Believe album talks all about sin. Might want to ponder it a bit; it's a cool lyric.

Thanks for stopping by West of Mars! Hope you'll come back again.

jedimerc said...

Can't say I've heard of them, but my tastes are fairly limited :) I will check it out though and thanks for stopping by as well.

Retro Girl said...

Sometimes a journey down a dark path can be a positive thing in that it can be a learning process about oneself, an enlightening journey...I have found that such a journey is often circular....you wind up right back where you started from...but better for the experience. Make sense? ;-)

Merry Merry Christmas!!

jedimerc said...

Absolutely... I have found it to be somewhat similar. No matter where I have wound up, I have been better for the experience (though I am not a fan of those dark paths... I've been to places that are hard to come back from).

Yes, Merry Christmas to you as well :)