28 February 2007

Well, He's Terribly Mysterious...

Kudos to anyone who knows where the title comes from :)

Human action (or inaction) is something of a mystery to me... well, not so much a mystery, as I do understand the human condition to be rather simplistic sometimes, but calling us a mystery makes me feel a little better about it. In my many guises as seller of junk, writer, student, etc, I do have more opportunity to observe said human condition than most. Further, I have worked as a customer service representative, recruiter and waiter, so the tragedy and comedy of humanity has worked its magic before me in far, far too many ways.

Now, I do not consider myself too mysterious, or terribly mysterious for that matter, but compared to fellow humans I wonder, especially when witnessing their behavior in my soon to be 34 years of existence (granted, I doubt I was doing too much observing the first 10 or so, but...). I wonder if I am the mystery to them and not the other way around? To many who grace the entries of this blog, probably not so much, as many like-minded individuals do pay a visit. Probably just as well. While I like a lively discussion at times, all out flame wars leave everyone angry, or peeved at the least. Clearly, someone must wonder, I have a point somewhere. Usually I do, and mostly it is simple how amazed I am (though I should not be) at behavior in common situations, situations one would expect demand a little courtesy and civility. I admit, I can get ruffled at times, especially at those who have no good reason for doing the things they do (like utilities, phone companies, bureaucracy), but I do try to be as civil as possible. Otherwise, it simply causes us more grief than necessary. When others do such things, that is when the questions of mystery arise and make me wonder on what planed I have been marooned... then I realize the sad truth... blast.

A few days ago, I was in a local comic shop and having a typical gaming conversation, when a fellow started ranting to them about computer issues based on bumper stickers (PC supporters vs. Mac supporters... me I hardly care either side of the debate and is mostly irrelevant to the discussion). The conversation seemed fine, with neither side giving too much, and I added a comment or two about how both have their merits. The discussion abated, but the accuser uttered an f-bomb in the conversation when none was necessary. I understand the need to emphasize a point, but to me it seemed a little uncivil in a retail situation, even if it is in a comic shop, where sensibilities tend to soften some. No one acted offended, though unless I know the person across the table from me, it would be a rare thing for me to curse while selling my anime stuff. I am certainly not being a prude in this regard. I curse more than I should, though I feel being able to engage in conversation without resorting to such things is a lost art, and I often feel better the less I do curse. I will say, ten years ago, you would never hear 'damn' or 'shit' in a store, much less 'fuck'. (see, I can say 'fuck', even write 'fuck' too :) Well, maybe not ten, but certainly fifteen years ago. Either way, I suppose it is a personal thing mostly. But I am fine with being a little archaic now and then.

The second incident happened today, and involved a loud talker on a cell phone. I understand that Barnes and Noble is not a library of a sort, but people tend to talk softer in bookstores more often than not, especially in a reading area. Still, some shrill-voiced shrew decided she would discuss loudly the details of her day, her past day, who was in the hospital, how long she had been reading, and constantly reinforcing her lack of manners and grace. After a few moments, she submitted to mine and my fellow patrons caustic glares and shuffled off... loudly. I suppose it is the wireless culture, but I see more and more of this every day: courtesy being ignored for the convenience of blathering into a cell phone. In a culture of now, the cell phone is the biggest culprit in instant gratification at the expense of annoying the rest of us. When I am in a bookstore, I even turn my phone to vibrate or silent... most people I observed today let their phones ring as loud as possible. And I suppose I should not even rant about movie courtesy as well. Most of the time, people turn their phones off, though I recalled some people having a conversation on a phone when I was in Australia, just ignoring all of us in the theatre for their own enjoyment. In a world that is getting more crowded, our ideas of civility and courtesy seem to fade in the distance, as archaic as I feel sometimes.

So maybe I am the mysterious one, just not terribly mysterious :)

C.

6 comments:

Lyndon said...

I was having the same thought the other day. I sometimes wonder how much better the world would be if we were a little more civil to one another.

Unfortunately in this modern age, civility has gone out the window it’s an, I only care about me attitude that has sprung up.

Anonymous said...

*lol* personally, I think we're all a mystery to each other to some extent. Differences in personality and life experiences ultimately cause us to see and interprete some situations differently from each other.

For some reason people seam to forget all about courtesy/politeness/social graces when it comes to their cell phones. You're not the only one thats noticed this. Besides the behaviour you've pointed out, I've observed people that will sit through conversations with a group of people SMSing or talking to someone else on their cell. I don't see why they can't just leave the room if they want to talk on the phone to someone else.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

People baffle me somethings. I wish cell phones weren't such a needed commodity these days. I hate people that live with them attached to their bodies and share their lives with the whole world while on them.

Anonymous said...

Cell phones in a Hong Kong cinema. You can't beat it for for aural distraction.

That quote. Sounds like a Buffy episode. Maybe said by Willow. Written by Jane Espenson.

Google search shows I'm wrong.

(insert f-bomb!)

jedimerc said...

lyndon: we've always had a veneer of civility in the past, but then that sometimes seems too upper-crust, so to speak... but it might be a radical concept to do things a little differently now and then :)

rav'n: The whole SMS thing has gotten worse in schools, especially where cheating is concerned. I'd like to think I would be a sharp enough teacher to stop that sort of thing... actually, I fear I might be like the absent-minded professor

mistress: I keep a cell phone on me only because it is my main number. I haven't had a house phone in ages... but even still I hardly use it like it could be. I don't text well, but I tend to talk faster than I can type on most phone keypads.

phil: I didn't want to sound rude, but the people talking in the cell phone(s) to beat the band in the Aussie cinema were Chinese (at least they were speaking Chinese), but I have seen such bad behavior everywhere.

And for everyone... the mystery quote is The Blue Raja from Mystery Men :)

Anonymous said...

They should make it compulsory that students turn their phones off when they're in class. Adults turn their phones off when they're in meetings, uni students turn their phones off when they're in lectures, I don't see what kind of emergency global issues a high school or primary school student must be controlling that they can't turn their phones off while they're in class.