20 February 2007

Transcendent Wanderings (with Johnny Cash and U2)

I know, odd title, but sometimes you give credit where credit is due. As I drifted into the dark of I-49 (and if you have traveled I-49 between Shreveport and Lafayette, LA at 2am you understand), the rest of my companions slept and the stillness of the night wrapped around me. For twenty minutes or so, it was just me, the road and the music (and some fog which always creeps around the edges of ones vision along this road). For those moments, I could feel the heartbeat of the universe, so to speak, set to the tune of a Johnny Cash cd. I will take a soundtrack like that any day.

Since I could not write about it while driving (or I doubt I would be able to update this entry), I more or less had to wait. I jotted down some ideas during the weekend, and finally finished a little something before I started to feel awful. I am not quite sure where I am going with this piece, only that I could not get it out of my head...

'Transcendent Wanderings (with Johnny Cash and U2)'
Lyrics and musics in italics from 'The Wanderer' by U2 (sung by Johnny Cash)

'Yeah I left with nothing
Nothing but the thought of you...'

An elusive instant beyond the veil
of midnights, tracing a course...
So many miles...
Agonies of memory past,
furtive hopes of futures calm
all but
Consumed in the thought of you.

We see...
though in ways and forms
removed of the quiet dark,
A path...
traversing, trembling
So many lives...
Reaching into the haze of
early 'morn
Buoyed in the thought of you.

Dawn grants empty respite,
my soul lost to
So many miles...
So many lives...
Consumed by the thought of you.

'I left with nothing,
But the thought you'd be there too
Looking for you...'

I went wandering
what seems so long ago,
time, place drifting as they do...
dreams of those worlds
Searching...
Waiting...
Wrapped in this thought of you.

'I went wandering...'

C.

6 comments:

Amber said...

Your poem made me feel lonely and sad.

Not that that is a bad thing; I think the power and beauty of writing in any form, comes with the ability to make someone feel.

Mission accomplished.

Anonymous said...

its a beautiful piece. Intense too. I love the way you manage to string words together. so pretty.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I could stand to have 20 minutes of road time with music blaring right now.

Rain said...

I love it. You definitely have a poets soul.

Now turn up the music cause me loves some Johnny Cash =0)

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

How many conventions do you attend a year? What do you sell there?

I like this song. There is something about the road, the journey, that appeals to me as metaphor. It is the great American theme, don't you think?

jedimerc said...

amber: It is a lonely drive, and to an extent the loneliness can be overwhelming... but the goal was some feeling in the end :)

rav'n: Thanks :) I tried to give off an intense feeling in the piece without overdoing it.

mistress: I don't think I need 20 minutes of road time for awhile :) Those 18 hour drives I can only do once every 3 weeks or so...

rain: Thank you :) Now if I can only convince my soul to come back from it's vacation :) And I can always crank it up for some Johnny Cash.

stewart: Definitely a great American theme, the idea of roaming and the journey. It just calls to a lot of us.

As far as cons, I sell anime related products (mostly toys, plush animals and characters, and anime-style swords and some other odds and ends), and in the last calendar year I attended about 25 or so... I should do about 30 this year. From late March to June I will likely be doing 1 a week or close to it.