22 February 2007

Solace

Not much of a post here I suppose, though I am planning on adding a post on conventions later tonight or tomorrow. I had been meaning to do that anyways, but thanks, Phil, for asking about it and setting me to thinking about such things.

Anyway, I had meant to write more about a word: the word in the title, 'solace'. I am not going to bore anyone with conventional definitions. That is not really my style. I know what it means to me when writing my various forms of poetry and other writings, know what it has meant, and likely what it will mean to me in the future. So, I ask a question of you, gentle readers, what does the word, 'solace', mean to you? I await your responses with interest and glee :)

Until I can organize my convention tips and notes,

C.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's meant to mean take comfort during sorrow but it's always had a more lonely ring to me.

Must be the SOL part of the word ie solitary, solitude.

Maybe my definition is finding comfort in yourself.

Anonymous said...

I guess it means a respite to me; to find quiet and calm when things are kinda haywire.

RK Sterling said...

Tough one. I'll have to get back to you, though the first thought were the words "solitary peace", immediately followed by an image--or a sense--of being at one with the universe, with a deep knowing that I am loved and all goes on as it should.

jedimerc said...

phil: I think of that a lot, the solitude in it... but comfort, lonely comfort comes to mind.

rav'n: a respite would work too... I can easily see that.

kate s: first off, thanks for dropping by and welcome to my blog :)

solitary peace is good, and I can always see the oneness in the universe with this... it does give solace, definitely.

ChickyBabe said...

A refuge, alone, a comforting place.

jedimerc said...

Most assuredly, I think... all these at once and separate.

Some great answers all... thanks for taking the time to think about this.