25 February 2007

Toward the Broken Bay...

Some of you might be confused by the title, but it reference the entry and the poem, 'A Small Beach Outside of Sydney'. What follows is something that I have been meaning to write since I returned in 2004, but never really could I suppose... at least about that place and what it has meant to me most of my adult life. I have struggled with less meaningful poems about it, and one very nice work that handles what was lost very well, but nothing ever quite came to me about the simplicity of that time and how I thought I let it all go one evening in February 2004. To me, writing just happens, and when something is revealed to me, I write it (wow, sounds almost like how prophecy works :) If I really mull something over, it tends to sound and feel forced. So, today, I was thinking of age, as I am going to turn 34 on Thursday, and how far I have come and where I am going... the usual, I guess. Still, I simply sat down and wrote. For my part, it feels right. It is what I needed to say... so maybe it is an early birthday present to myself of a sort :)

'Toward the Broken Bay...'

Your gentle caress,
memory of what was forgotten
reborn in a breath, an instant
a glance...
Seeing once more.

Your tender smile,
hope of so many days
rekindled in sights, sounds
a scent...
Yearning amid the tides.

Your wondrous passion,
desire of too many nights
enveloped in emotion, a word
a kiss...
Feeling once again.

My life,
fragmenting for so long,
made manifest upon this shore
a place...
Reaching beyond the soul.

Our love,
Finally laid to rest.

C.

9 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Writing just seems to happen for me too. I'm working on a story now, but I have to have a certain amount of inspiration to really work things out or I end up editing for ever and ever.

Have a good week.

jedimerc said...

I will do that too sometimes... other times, it just has to happen, but mostly I wind up editing when inspiration fades.

Have a great week, too.

Frank Marcopolos said...

editing is a weird thing. i can never look at something i've written and NOT edit it, regardless of how many edits i've done previously.

Anonymous said...

I find it reallly hard to just sit down and write something too. I usually only write when inspiration hits. Otherwise, as with everybody else it seams, I'll just end up editing and working on it endlessly.

jedimerc said...

brooklyn frank: thanks for dropping by, and I feel the same way... I have to change something in the edit.

rav'n: I have to have inspiration, no doubt, unless I happen to be rambling about something in my life or something historical or political, but fiction and poems, it has to come to me in a certain way, or it won't at all.

ChickyBabe said...

Tender yet wistful...

MadameBoffin said...

Happy Birthday in advance for Thursday!!!

dan said...

Sometimes, place is more than just location.

Ya know?

jedimerc said...

chickybabe: I would say you hit it pretty close :)

madameboffin: many thanks :) I can already start to feel my body falling apart in advance :)

dan: Too true, sir... we do take place with us, no doubt, but sometimes the location is evocative to a point, and brings that sense of place back.