08 February 2007

Midnight Confessions

Ok, this is a late 'Tell it To me Tuesday' from over at Janet's. I should be doing a Thursday 13 or something, but I have a list thing in mind for tomorrow and it's more than 13... She did pose an intriguing question. 'If you could listen to a deathbed confession to a person or persons, who would it be and why?'. I should be able to give this a shot considering my background :)

1) St. Paul- if only to get more insight about the whys of his form of Christianity and what he would think about the fact that the messianic apocalypse he was embracing never happened.

2) Josef Stalin- The mind of madmen are curious things, and he certainly had a lot to answer for and to confess one should think. Plus, I would also like to inform him of the failure of Communism, just to give him an extra kick in the pants on the way to the next life :)

3) Erwin Rommel- I would like to hear his real thoughts on the idiots he had to serve with, including Goering and Hitler.

4) George S. Patton- Patton always said interesting and controversial things. I am sure a deathbed confession would be no less interesting. (I do note with irony that, so far, none of these figures had a deathbed so to speak: Patton died in an auto accident; Rommel, suicide; Paul, martyrdom, probably; Stalin: embolism or stroke, something pretty quick I know)

5) Robert E. Lee- He did have a deathbed and actually I was in a staged reading of a play about his last days and last words... (Strike the Tent!) It would just be intriguing to hear what the most beloved general in American history would have to say at the end, besides what was actually said.

6) Eleanor of Aquitaine- The most fascinating woman in medieval history (at least to me), mother of a dynasty and more or less the reason behind the Hundred Years War, not that she would care about that. Her court was one of the most forward thinking in Europe and the tradition of the chansons de geste began with her troubadours. What a woman :)

Honorable Mentions: Virtually any medieval pope; Edward I and III; Richard I; Saladin; Elizabeth I; Tom Landry; Anne Boleyn; Edgar Allan Poe; Walt Whitman; Sir Isaac Newton; Thomas Jefferson.

C.

11 comments:

Becky said...

As always, interesting list of people. I always answer Janet's questions so quickly, I should take more time to come up with more answers than just the one (Caesar).

Anonymous said...

interesting list. I can never seam to come up with answers for questions like this and "if you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be?". hehehe my answers normally lean more towards fictional characters

jedimerc said...

becky: I would have mentioned Caesar but I didn't want to shake your bag :) My problem is that I think about stuff like this too much...

rav'n: I know of some good fictional characters I would like to meet too... actually, I will be meeting some of the cast to BSG at Megacon (sadly no B5 guests this year)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Some good pics there. Suddenly I want to break into that Grass Roots song though.

Sayre said...

I'm having a hard time coming up with a list - but I like yours!!!!

I'm kind of hoping that once we die, we get to be privy to stuff like that...

jedimerc said...

mistress: hmm... I think the song is not coming to me. Perhaps I heard it, just not recognising it?

sayre: Me too, just to sit in on a few for awhile would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Cool list.

I would like to hear Freud's deathbed confession. Did he have weird feelings about his mother?

jedimerc said...

Hmmm... one has to wonder. That would be an interesting confession :)

Janet said...

Can you believe it seems someone stole this question from me this week, along with another post of mine? Come look!:(

jedimerc said...

That's just terrible that people do such things... what's the point of blogging if you don't use your own material... seems, counterintuitive to me.

Scout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.