14 October 2006

Our Unique Lineage

An incidental note: This is an older entry from my old journal, but it is consistent with the theme of the previous post, and is a base for most of my discussions of philosophy, of which there are many.

'We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Through desperate acts of ego, we give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps, and pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it.' --Delenn, Babylon 5

Perhaps one might find it strange I often use quotes from sci fi shows/movies. (I suppose sci fi fans would not). Well, a lot of the more interesting philosophy I find stems from science fiction, and it is a part of who I am. I remember seeing the episode that references the above quote and it is consistent with the philosophy of the creator/writer of the show, a philosophy I understood to some extent at the time, but not completely until my myriad adventures that led to a sort of 'enlightenment' if you will. The road to enlightenment is a tale for another day, though many of these entries are pieces of that tale and The Long Road is my journey in hindsight and toward the future. But what I wish to comment on at this hour is the lineage we are ascribed to from the birth of the universe to our creation to our ending.

Every part of us is unique, a special creation from the dawn of time itself. The molecules within us descended from the beginning of the universe and that lineage is a part of us... is us. Our fire, our spark is a wondrous thing, but our cynicism and ego push that spark aside, trying to squash our unique heritage... that we are the universe made manifest. Even I forget it at times when I get angry, frustrated, pissed off, whatever, but I try and center my focus, reduce my anxiety by reaching out to my past, present and future... reaching into that unique spark that once fueled the heart of the universe. In my younger and sometimes rather recent days, I could not do it, and it ate me up inside. Now, I can let it go because we are one and we are unique at the same time.

I also would like to comment on the latter part of the quote, for it actually ends the episode and is quite moving in its context, but somewhat appropriate to the subject. I do not feel that our unique spark, when it ceases is gone forever, just changes states, moves on, and remains a part of the universe. Still, what we were in this life, in this moment, is unique and when that is gone, there will never be another just quite like you or me. The soul might remain, but the details will be different and keeps the universe fresh. So, hold on to that spark in whatever you endeavour, for the universe listens... and if it isn't true, it sure would be nice to think so.

C.

No comments: