26 October 2006

Migration and Election Factors

I originally thought about discussing the problems with migration and immigration in the United States (and the particularly strange laws about to be passed in one of the suburbs locally that will make it nearly impossible for an illegal immigrant to live or work in the suburb), but after a thinking about things on my trip back from Wal-Mart (the new melting pots in America), I thought I would ease off the immigration issue some and discuss the coming elections here in Texas, for that is my perspective; however, the heart of the matter is voting in general and how we ignore it, or do not.

First off, I was strangely comforted by the fact that as I drove off in the parking lot of my local Wal-Mart, I heard several languages being spoken, primarily Spanish, as this Wal-Mart resides in a part of Irving that is predominately Hispanic. Most of the time I do not care, as I am not wasting much gas in getting to this Wal-Mart. At first, I thought of the large numbers of probably illegals just in the parking lot alone, but then reminded myself we are a nation of illegals in many ways, as I am sure my Native American cousins (I'm around 40 percent Cherokee... I know it does not show) would agree. Still, I welcome most immigrants, but I would like for them to at least try and become residents and citizens. It can be done... I have two neighbors who have done it (and ironically, they somewhat turn their noses down to illegals who don't make an effort to become citizens), and know others who have. I understand that it can be terribly frustrating for them, but if they truly want the best for them and their families, should they not attempt to become citizens of the country that they effectively call home? I know I would, even with language and/or cultural barriers. How does this relate to voting, one might ask? Aside from the citizenship issue, I'm not sure. I do get tangential some times and wish to discuss a couple of subjects at once. This is one of those times, so do bear with me.

The thought process then led to the current elections and voting and how I have discussed with many an individual the responsibilities of good citizenship in this country. Primarily, if you can vote, do. To me, this gives you the right to voice your concerns. Yes, I know the electoral process is antiquated to say the least. I actually prefer the proportional electorate, similar to the German system where if a candidate wins 43% of the vote, they get 43% of the electoral vote... crazy, I know. Colorado tried to pass such a measure in '04, but failed. Anyway, I have had plenty of political discussions regarding our leaders and government, and I would take the time to ask if said person voted. More often than not, the response was no. I would then quickly end the discussion, for I feel if you do not take the time to vote, to participate in the electoral process (for good or ill), then you really have no cause to complain. Voting is incredibly easy these days. If you do not vote and have the ability to, then I think you demean your own citizenship and those who have fought and died for that right to vote. Again, simply my thought on the matter.

Oh, btw, for those of you that endured the Ventura years in Minnesota, an Independent might win in Texas, whether it is the Grandma or Kinky remains to be seen. Alas, Rick Perry will probably win thanks to these two, but I would not mind seeing something different here. (Oh, and for those of you that only know Texas' recent political history, Texas has always been traditionally a Democratic state. Only in recent years has it become overwhelmingly Republican).

One final attempt at waxing anecdotal and I will leave you good people: When I voted, the city of Euless was using a prototype electronic voting system, since the country is supposed to be all electronic by the '08 elections. I was slightly amused since I had just seen Man of the Year (if you have seen it, then you understand my amusement). When I pointed out my amusement to the voting officials, they were less amused.

C.

No comments: