24 October 2006

Night Train To Perth

I guess I will continue a common thread, posting some of my work from when I was in Australia and/or my Australia-related poems. I will say, the last time I was in that country I composed some of (what I feel) my better stuff. The following is another experiment in still, using similar lines but changing the order of the lines... I think there is a technical term to the form. Me, I just like the way it felt.

'Night Train to Perth'

Note: The Indian Pacific is one of the great train journeys in the world, taking 72 hours to get from Sydney to Perth. I started the journey at the midway point, in Adelaide(only a mere 36 hour journey from there ). I wrote this as darkness descended upon the Nullabor plain, one of the emptiest places in the world. I did in fact do this journey twice, though I left from Kalgoorlie (12 hours from Perth) and went all the way through to Sydney, a scant 60 hours later. I then boarded another train for a 14 hour journey to Byron Bay. But what a way to travel...

Beneath the glow of crimson skies,
The sound of metallic thunder rolls.
While cities fade into deepening shadow,
The future is all the journey knows.

Shadow engulfs the surrounding plains,
Within the wonder of starry skies;
Metallic thunder closing all around,
While onward still the journey lies.

Amidst the beauty of such a night,
This journey knows it cannot die.
The sound of metallic thunder rolls,
Beneath the calm of midnight skies.

C.

2 comments:

dan said...

Noticing a theme of moving in the poems... rolling, motion, moving, etc.

Coincidence? Intentional

jedimerc said...

Perhaps a little of both. Since I was traveling when I wrote many of these poems, maybe intentional. In both cases, I was traveling when I was inspired to write them (and wrote this one on the train)soooo...