20 March 2007

The Universe Made Manifest

We are the universe made manifest... to me, a simple, endearing truth. It is a thought borne from the cradle of all existence. Nothing so much in trying times gives me comfort. Knowing such things (as much as one can) allows me peace when all around me is complicated at best and falling apart at worst. Not that such things are occurring at the moment, though I am dealing with the same family issues as before, and I worry about the coming end of the week as I always do before a convention. Still, I can set it all aside, and call it meditation, thought, or something deeper... it washes away. It is what I can do to when life appears to fail and I can do nothing about it save this... let the knowledge of what we are, were, and will be comfort me. Perhaps that is my solace, if you will (since I asked the question about it some posts back).

I think if more of us understood this simplicity, we might be more peaceful about things to come, what we have suffered, and even the day to day that consumes us. Besides, I would rather write about something hopeful like this... melancholy has its place, I suppose. So long as I wonder about the beauty of the universe as a whole, I am not sure melancholy is needed. I realise how idealistic that sounds, but sometimes one has to be a little idealistic now and then.

C.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Universe made manifest. I really like that phrase. There is nothing wrong with a little idealism. It shines a light into the dark.

Anonymous said...

gotta have hope or life can be a very dreary thing.

I tend to deal with things by just carrying on. if I can do something aboutit, well and good, but if I can't then try not to worry about it and carry on with things until i do find a solution or something changes. I will admit however that that isn't always a healthy way of doing things because sometimes it means that I just ignore a problem rather than dealing with it.

M said...

ha, well I'm idealistic. I have to say, it bites me on the arse a lot. Some days, melancholy is perfect though.

ChickyBabe said...

I don't need melancholy but when it visits, I deal with it, then try to send it away packing. Power of positive thinking...

Anonymous said...

i really love the way you wrote that.

jedimerc said...

phil: thank goodness for sci-fi philosophy or I'd be lost :)

rav'n: more or less how I think we all try and deal when we can. Our species seems to be pretty good at carrying on... sometimes.

m: my idealism has bit me more ways than I can count... so sometimes it is safer to be melancholy.

chickybabe: Most of the time, positive thinking, and thinking of how we are a part of something so much greater than we can imagine is quite helpful.

kate: Thanks so much... just felt I needed to get it out of the system with all that has been going on.

Becky said...

I have to admit that it's extremely difficult for me to just "let go" and not over analyze or worry about things, even if they're beyond my control. It's strange how I sometimes can but normally can't -- not quite sure what the pattern is.

jedimerc said...

I struggle with such things, and have struggled with such things. I think it is easier for me to let go of things beyond my control most of the time. I used to be really bad about over analyzing things, and in my quieter moments I probably do more than I would like.