06 March 2007

Places I've Never Been

For those with a side interest in the normal goings on in my life... I have been gaming a little more lately and had a great game the other night, one of those epic sessions where the dice fall (for the players) in ways that they aren't meant to and the GM(that's me) groans, but everyone still has a great time. I have also been gaming with some people I had not seen in awhile, so that has been awesome too. A nice, refreshing change before my schedule gets really out of whack with conventions in the next couple of weeks.

This post is certainly not a philosophical wonderment of places I long for metaphysically, but a general entry about places I would like to see before the Apocalypse or we are all chasing each other across the landscape in Mad-max style vehicles or running around taking each other out with swords and bows. Seriously, for all my travels, a few places do hold a certain allure to me, and I would like to say, 'I've been there.'. Not much deeper than that :)

1) Fontevraud Abbey, Chinon, France: Not surprising, I suspect, considering my love for medieval history. I have written about this place before in my entry: Fontevraud Abbey. Really, almost all of the medieval sites in France I would love to visit, especially in Normandy, Poitou, Gascogne and the Aquitaine. Naturally, I would need to visit many sites in England as well, to get the full effect, but the final resting place of Richard I and Eleanor of Aquitaine tops my list.

2) Flanders Fields, Ypres, Belgium: I have wanted to visit Belgium for its medieval sites as well, considering its connection to England and France during the Hundred Years War, but at Ypres, several major battles of the Great War were fought, and one of the most famous poems in military history was written about the cost of the battles and the War. Of course, I would like to see other sites from one of the most terrible wars in history, but I would like to begin here.

3) South Africa: Going from the specific to the general, I simply have always wanted to visit the place, more or less Cape Town and the coast, eastward to Durban, but most of the rest of the country would do as well. I am not sure I want to go in 2010, since they are hosting the World Cup then, but perhaps before or after :)

4) Aix-la-Chappelle/Aachen, Westphalia, Germany: Not quite the place it was back in the days of Charlemagne, but, since it was nearly destroyed a couple of times, one can forgive. Again, the historian in me wants to see the ancient capital of the Frankish Empire, now the westermost city in Germany.

5) Japan: Again, not to specific here. I suppose Tokyo is a given, but because of anime, and to some extent history :) I would like to visit quite a few places in Japan, some for historical reasons, others not, but a general roaming about the country would be nice.

6) South Island, New Zealand: I never got to see the South Island, so I thought the next time I go to New Zealand I would make sure and go further south. I also mean to finally get to Wellington as well.

7) Alaska, Hawaii, Kentucky and Maine: No real reason, other than the fact I have been to or driven through every other state in the Union... might as well get to them before we add another state :)

8) Ilios, Asia Minor (modern Turkey): No time traveling (though that might be cool), but I would like to see the sites of the excavations of Troy and its surrounds, (as well as other sites in the Aegean) and perhaps have a chance to look back the millenia and see those fabled shores from a new perspective... one can dream.

9) Carthage, Tunisia: As long as we are on ancient historical sites, Carthage is another place I would like to see, or at least the ruins of said place. Also, a great deal of Operation Torch was fought in Tunis, and I would not mind seeing some of those sites as well.

10) Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia, Argentina: I figure if I go to Argentina, I might as well see the ends of the Earth while I am at it, and see the storm-tossed Strait of Magellan, and one of the more isolated regions on Earth.

Well, that's a few of the places I would like to see sometime... maybe I will get to a few of them. Hope you get to where you are going as well. We all deserve it, I think.

C.

10 comments:

egan said...

I have many places in common with you. I think Patagonia is one of the most intriguing places on the planet.

I really need to put together a list like this in hopes of getting some off the list. Alaska is awesome and one of the best places I've been.

Anonymous said...

I love historic places too so many of the ones on your list are on mine as well. I also love places with natural beauty so Alaska, Africa (not the towns but the countryside, for the wildlife), New Zeland, Croasia, and any where like that are on my list. I would love to go to Egypt, The Montreal, Edinburagh and Melbourne comedy festivals, a comic con or two and I ahve to visit hawaii, not just for it's natural beauty but also to see the many friends that I have made online who live there.

What game are you running btw?

M said...

what a cool list! There are so many places I want to go. I wish I had money and a kick arse travel companion!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

There are so many places that are close by that I haven't been, before I get to the places in Europe I'd love to be.

~sigh~

dan said...

Hmmm... nothing in the US?

Another nod to your love of things feudal? :)

jedimerc said...

egan: I knew some people in Alaska, and I had thought about going to school there ages ago... still would like to see it.

rav'n: You should try and make it to San Diego one day for its comic con. Quite the spectacle.

I'm just running an home-brewed D&D game :)

m: me too... I am sure I can come up with a kick ass travel companion, but the money might be the issue :)

mistress: It is true there are a lot of place I would like to see here, so much history on this continent... always a tough thing.

dan: Ah, feudalism, when people knew their place and loved it :)

And to be fair, the couple of things I have listed in the US is to be complete and say I have visited every state in the US.

Becky said...

I think that just about the only place I have that you don't is with Hawaii. Let me know if you need any pointers;) As for Japan, I have a greater interest in seeing their countryside than Tokyo, which is probably the one thing that I liked about The Last Samurai.

Anonymous said...

I'm participating in a "home-brewed" D&D game too. Jad's trying out an idea of his where the players don't have character sheets (the DM holds them) so we don't really know what our stats are (only what order, from strongest to weakest, they are in)

ChickyBabe said...

I've been to Tokyo last year and loved it! Akihabara is your mecca. I was falling over anime. And I loved the city and its people.

jedimerc said...

becky: I would like to see the countryside of Japan, and as for Hawaii, I would certainly prefer to see the less-touristy sites, but I am sort of like that at times...

rav'n: Interesting... my players would flip out if I did something like that, but I admit, I mostly GM Star Wars, B5 and Modern, my skills with D&D need to improve before I do anything experimental... the main thing that is 'home-brewed' about my game is the setting, pieces from some historical places and a few settings I created for a LARP.

chickybabe: Akihabara sounds like a place for me to certainly get more anime... excellent :) More to sell, of course :)