16 March 2007

Home

Sometimes I feel as if I have written as a young man, reaching toward all that should or could be. Others, as someone older, perhaps not so wiser, but yearning for the home that was. I think that is the curse of wanderers such as myself, and other more famous wanderers throughout history...

'Toward Ithaca Home'

A thought of gentle solace,
Grants so little respite
Within such unrelenting carnage,
Amid the pyres of the dead.

A brush of a delicate hand,
Yields a wealth of distant hope
Through desolation and fortune,
Beyond even the river of the damned.

A simple word or two remembered,
Quiets the thunder of rage
That set so much of a world alight,
Borne from the promises of the dead.

A memory of a life forgotten,
Gives way to present joy
Within the welcoming embrace of love,
That always rested...
Upon Ithaca's gleaming shores.


C.

7 comments:

Pure said...

I really like a quote from the movie Mona Lisa Smile. Someone says "Not all who wander are lost." That struck a chord with me.

jedimerc said...

I believe it is from Tolkien (at least that is who I think it is attributed to). I rather like it myself...

ChickyBabe said...

Very mystical feel...

jedimerc said...

Thanks :), that was my hope in this, since, while the theme is about all who yearn for home, it is about Odysseus finally coming home :)

Norma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norma said...

You've done a wonderful job with the returning home theme.

My PT is up.

jedimerc said...

Thanks so much... I had an excellent source of inspiration in this (can't really go wrong with The Odyssey :)