23 April 2007

Illusion Of Mortality

On a personal note, my grandmother, after a terribly long struggle with clear-cell cancer (forgive me, but I forget the actual name of it) passed away yesterday. While, of course, I am sad at her passing, I cannot help but be relieved that she is no longer suffering, for she had basically wasted away to nothing in the end. If I am unable to get to everyone this week, I do apologise in advance, for dealing with the funeral plus having to go out of town later in the week will make it busier than normal. I suppose, in that, it is good.

While the events of the preceding day helped urge this post onward, I had been thinking about this for other reasons, especially with the reminders of mortality in my home, art and photographs mostly, but a pervasive sense of such things seem to creep around this place. Maybe even around me. I often wonder if the illusion is our mortality and what awaits is the real journey, not that this is insightful at all, since so many before me (and I am sure after as well) have their views on afterlives. My thought is the wonder if it is all the extension of the same life... no before, no after, just differing fragments of the same soul, and perhaps we are just not evolved enough or perceptive enough yet to discern or handle the actual reality. I think that some might be able to perceive a little of it, some of us (like me) can perhaps imagine it, or at least explain an imagining, and some are so connected they seek to get to that reality as quick as possible.

I think that mortality is comforting in a way, too. We know that whatever we have experienced here will end, at least in the way we conceive it. And for some that is simply the way it is and always will be. For some, they must have the darkness of hell or the wonder of heaven. Others are simply reborn, sleep, or fade into dust. Others move on and take the next step, maybe even a necessary step to a higher consciousness. So much in this universe is unexplained and unexplored. It would be a shame to waste the knowledge, the material on an illusion of finality. Now, this does not mean I am excited or looking forward to my transitional stage, for I know the heartache that would be left behind, but I am comfortable with the inevitable. I may not be able to understand all aspects of the journeys I have undertaken beyond anything but fragments of dreams of worlds forgotten, but I still have time (as we understand it) perhaps to seek to understand, as I have always tried to do, or have done :)

C.

9 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

sending condolences your way and to your family.

RK Sterling said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Chris.

jedimerc said...

Thank you both, and it is easier that it was not sudden, so everyone has had time to prepare.

Anonymous said...

i'm awfully sorry about your loss.

Rain said...

Release, sweet release!

My thoughts are with you and your family.

M said...

so sorry hon :( *hug*

jedimerc said...

Thanks, y'all... the funeral went well today (as well as those things can), but I admit I felt different, not sure how, but different than in past times, even though I knew that this was certainly not sudden like before when dealing with deaths in the family. I am sure some of it is that my outlook has changed since then, and though I was sad at her passing and for my relatives and people that knew my grandmother that may not share my views, I was remarkably calm, and dealt with things in my own way, as I am now. Still, thanks everyone for your kind words and support.

Becky said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Chris. I lost my step-dad to cancer as well and it's a strange feeling of missing them, yet wanting them to go so they're no longer suffering. I hope you and your family are doing okay.

jedimerc said...

My family is doing pretty well considering, and it has been hard on some, but we expected and accepted this day, so it made things easier.